The following is a highlight of the Hendry County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) regular meeting held on Tuesday, August 8 at the Commission Chamber in Clewiston City Hall in Clewiston, Florida.
· Bid #2017-15 – LaBelle Airport - Construction of Terminal Building & Infrastructure – The board voted to accept the low bid from Owens Ames Kimball for $2,320,418.58 to construct the Labelle Airport terminal building and infrastructure. The project is funded 100% by the Florida Department of Transportation.
· Review of Lobbying Services Contract - The Board voted unanimously to hire Gray Robinson with a 1-year contract of $60,000. At the end of the year, the Board will review the experience with Gray Robinson and decide if they want to negotiate a new agreement for the 2019 legislative season.
· Contract With Johnson Engineering, Inc. for W.C. Owen Avenue from Georgia Avenue to US 271 - The Board voted to accept the contract staff negotiated with Johnson Engineering, Inc. for design and permitting services to resurface W. C. Owen Avenue. The Contract is for the design and permitting phase services in the amount of $155,201.48.
· Contract with Johnson Engineering, Inc. for Fort Denaud Road from Fort Denaud Bridgeway to Huggetts Road - The Board voted to accept the contract Staff negotiated with Johnson Engineering, Inc. for design and permitting services to resurface Fort Denaud Road from Fort Denaud Bridgeway to Huggetts Road. The Contract is for the design and permitting phase services in the amount of $197,609.86.
· Facilities Policy – The Board moved to adopt a county facility policy that would properly and consistently regulate the use and rental of county facilities. County facilities under this policy include facilities that are overseen by BOCC staff. An application consistent with this policy is being developed and will apply to all facilities. The application will be made available online.
· Approve the Submission of a Grant Application to the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity “Public Infrastructure Grant” for the Construction of the Waste Water Force Main from Airglades Airport to the Clewiston Waste Water Treatment Plant and Authorize Signature Authority - The board authorized staff to submit an application to the Department of Economic Opportunity for funding of the Force Main project contingent upon approval from the city of Clewiston. If a partnership is struck between the City of Clewiston and the County, the grant as will be for $8 million of the $85 million available. The County’s portion of the project on its own is $5.5 million.
· Election of Commissioners – In follow up to the approval of the straw ballot provision from the last general election in November 2016, the Board approved seeking outside council through the services of Sniffen & Spellman, P.A. on the issue of possibly changing the method of election of County Commissioners from single-member districts to at-large.
· Local Agency Program (LAP) Agreement for design, construction, and Construction Engineering and Inspection (CEI) services for a sidewalk along Old CR 78 from CR 78 East to SR 29 in the amount of$324,657 - The Board voted to execute the Amendment to the Local Agency Program Agreement, subject to County Attorney approval. The LAP Agreement consists of funding in the amount of $62,099 for design, $206,998 for construction, and $55,560 for CEI services. It is anticipated that these funds will fully fund the project.