The following is a highlight of the Hendry County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) regular meeting held on Thursday, October 26 at the County Commission Chamber in the Hendry County Courthouse in LaBelle, Florida.
- Hendry County Board of County Commissioners (Represented by Margaret Emblidge, AICP) – The Board moved to accept a County ordinance proposing a ban on Medical Marijuana Treatment Center Dispensing Facilities pursuant to Chapter 2017-232, Laws of Florida. The Board would like more substantial information on the issue as it related to Hendry County and will also see how the State of Florida responds in the coming legislative session.
- Petition Number RZ17-0004 Steven & Katherine Heintz (Represented by H.L. Bennett, P.E., P.L.S.) – The applicant is requesting a rezone on the subject property from Residential/Low Density and Residential/high Density to the Planned Unit Development zoning district to allow for a mixed use residential community. The Board noted that this project is a positive step in the direction of more site-built homes in Hendry County and provides incentive for further future development in the County.
- Ordinance Revoking Ad Valorem Tax Exemption for Bionitrogen Plant FL Hendry, LLC - The Board moved to revoke the ad valorem tax exemption status for the Bionitrogen Plant after the project fell apart due to bankruptcy.
- Ordinance Amending Tourist Development Plan and Tourist Development Tax Ordinance – The Board approved the amendment of the Tourist Development Plan and Tax Ordinance which includes amendments to the use of tourism revenue and additional tourism tax.
HEARING OF THE PUBLIC
- Members of the public addressed the Board with concerns after the Board voted at the October 10 meeting to reduce the number of days an animal is to be impounded in the County shelter from 5 days to 3 days. After hearing from members of the public and Animal Control Supervisor, Doug Morgan, the Board directed Mr. Baker to submit a detailed report that is due by the Board meeting. The Board will revisit the issue at that time.
BUSINESS BY DISTRICT
Chairman of the Board, Mike Swindle asked staff if there are plans for a post-hurricane debrief to discuss the County’s response before, during and after Hurricane Irma. Staff plans to conduct a series of debrief meetings both internally and externally. The Board requested that meetings be held in both Clewiston and LaBelle to ensure that both sides of the County have the opportunity to be part of the discussion.