Monday, March 07, 2022

Florida Keys' Watercolor Kapers by Bob Kranich


Island Flavor, (Part 3, Excerpt 46)

This is a new story titled, Island Flavor. It tells of the historic US military build-up of the Miami area during the Second World War. Our German spy has just been dropped off by a “U” Boat and is trying to get situated in the Miami area near an air base.

Island Flavor

It didn't take long for the bus to arrive. He got on, and this time he had the correct change. After a few stops it turned towards the airport. Then it headed up 42nd and turned on South Royal Poinciana Boulevard. He got up and sat in a window seat just in time to see a two-motor Army Air Force C-47 transport climbing up and over the airport in the far distance. He had studied photos of the enemy’s planes profusely. He made a mental note.

He soon saw the shops and got off the bus. A sign read, Miami Springs. Peter was surprised by the assortment and price of clothing. He thought, Things are difficult to come by back in the homeland and very expensive. You need to have money, and then have to know where to go to buy.

He walked out wearing a full suit for $32, shirt $2, dress shoes and socks $5, and a $2 fedora (hat).* Peter Smith did not look like the same person. Next door was a “five & dime” department store. There he bought a small suitcase to carry his old clothes and the toiletries, spare shirts, socks and undergarments he had purchased.

Back at the motor lodge he realized that he needed to extend his stay a couple of more days. He needed some time to find and purchase a house close to the airport. Part of his mission was to set up a base of operations. He would have to broadcast in two weeks to a U-boat that would be on station in his vicinity.

The next morning found Peter searching through the Yellow Pages:

Here’s one, Real Estate Agents

Mary Evans

Realtor for Miami Springs, Hialeah area.

He dialed from the room phone.

“Mary Evans speaking.”

“Mary, this is Peter Smith. I arrived in Miami yesterday on the train from New York. I sold my house up there and wish to find one down here. I need to be in the 36th street, Miami Springs area.”

“Mr. Smith, I only have one small bungalow just off Palm Avenue on 9th. It’s not too far from Miami Springs.”

“Ms. Evans, I don’t have a vehicle.”

“That’s all right, it’s on a bus line. If you want to see it I could pick you up right after lunch. Where are you staying?”

“The Howard Johnson’s on 36th Street.”

“I know just where that is. See you about 1:00 then. I’’ll be driving a blue Plymouth Coupe.”

“Thank you, Ms. Evans.”

Peter didn’t know just what a Plymouth Coupe looked like, but he knew blue!

He was sitting looking out of the window of the Howard Johnson’s. He saw a shiny blue two-door car being driven by a lady pull up. He had already paid for his lunch and was sipping his coffee. He dropped a 25 cent tip on the table and went out. She had parked, got out, and was looking about.

He waved and said, “Ms. Evans! Ms. Evans!”

As he hurried up to her, she said, “Mr. Peter Smith?”

“Yes, sorry I wasn’t standing out front. I just finished my lunch.”

He noticed she was a nice looking woman of about 30. She was wearing a two-piece suit, which fit her very well. He also noticed there was no wedding ring.

“Oh, are you ready to go then?”

“Yes.”

“Please get in and we’ll look at that bungalow I mentioned. It’s only a short drive.” We’ll go the most direct route, Mr. Smith. This is also the way the bus travels.”

They turned right on Highway 27.

“This is Highway 27 or Okeechobee road. It does head out of town to Lake Okeechobee,” she said. “But we’ll turn right here on Palm Avenue. You know it goes north through Hialeah a mile or so to the Hialeah Park Race Track. Buses will also come out of Miami Springs up this way.”

“Ms. Evans, I already have been to Miami Springs. I did some shopping there yesterday.”

“Mr. Smith, you can call me Mary.”
“Thank you, Mary. My first name is Peter.”

“Here is East 9th street. The house is just a few blocks off Palm Avenue.”

They were in what appeared to be a quiet neighborhood, small one-story houses. He was surprised by the palm trees and bright flowers. She pulled the Plymouth into the drive and stopped.

“Let’s take a look,” she said.

“Ok,” Peter answered, and they both got out.

He noticed the houses were brightly colored.

Mary said, “Of course, Peter, you should know there are no basements here, in contrast to your city of New York. Our water table here is very high.”

“That’s ok. I don’t need a lot of room.”

She went up the front porch, unlocked the door and went in. He followed.

“It’s two bedroom, a bath and one-half,” she said as they looked around.

“Why are there some furnishings still here?” he asked.

“It was owned by a couple of Army Air Force officers, and they got reassigned even before the wives could get down. If you want, the furnishings go with the house.”

“That will be great! What is the price?”

“Well normally it would be about $4,000. But I have to tell you…because of the War, demand right next to the Army Air Force base and the Hialeah Race Track, the asking price is $5,500. I think I could get it down to $5,300 if you’re interested.

“I am, and I want it. What do I do? I brought the cash from my house.

From the Author:

My second full-length book , Florida Keys’ Watercolor Kapers is composed of 336 pages. There are 12 stories running from 6 pages to as many as 72 pages. It is fully illustrated with 88 watercolors and sketches. The watercolors I made roaming around Key West after I finished my 750 mile hike from Georgia to Key West. (See book or Don Browne’s SouthWest Florida Online News records, A Walk Across Florida.) As you read these stories you will experience Key West, the Keys, and the Caribbean. These stories span the time of the early 1800’s to 1969. bkranich.wixsite.com/bobkranich

No comments:

Post a Comment