Saturday, May 29, 2021

Florida Keys' Watercolor Kapers - Nash Metropolitan

Florida Keys' Watercolor Kapers by Bob Kranich


The Met, (Part 1, Excerpt 29)

This is the first part a story titled, The Met. A small little car on a used car lot in Key West is telling the story, and my Uncle purchases him. It is fiction, but a lot of the facts are true.

The Met

I bet you don't know anything about me…I was the first entirely designed in America, owned by an American company, marketed in America, but built entirely in Europe…automobile. I was sold under the “Nash” and “American Motors” name, even under the “Hudson” name.

My designer was Detroit Michigan's famous W. J. Flajole. My uni-body was by England’s Fisher & Ludlow, and I was assembled at the Austin Motor’s plant in Birmingham, England. My 4-cylinder, in-line, Austin engine was linked to a 3-speed manual transmission.

“Not bad, huh, for a little guy?”

Many things have been said about my kind. These are just a few: “A good thing in a small package,” “Performance far better than expected,” “Felt very safe,” “Ride is more than expected,” “Fun to drive,” “Ideal for a second car,” and “ Best handling car.”

Well, enough of this mystery. If you haven't guessed by now…I am a Nash Metropolitan. Fortunately, I am one of the third series, and I like to think it was the best.
I was built in mid-1957. There were two models, hard-top and convertible. But I think I’m the best, a hardtop. My two-tone paint scheme, blue and white, is a very sharp contrast. It also makes me look much lower and streamlined. My engine size has been increased to about 91 cubic inches. I now have a whopping 50 horsepower.

I am sitting here at “Key West Motors,” a car lot in Key West, Florida. The good news is that I’m a one-owner. Yep, my only owner was a little old lady from Key West. Nash Metropolitan’s advertising was targeted to ladies when it first came out.

I sure hope my next owner is as easy on me as she was. All I need is a hot-rodder who wants to drop a Chevy V8 in me. Heaven forbid! Dear Lord please don't let that happen.

Well, let’s take a look around at “Key West Motors.” This is really not such a bad place. It is near the Navy base right downtown. It’s a good place to attract business, and also on a corner so it can be seen from more than two streets. I’m out front by the sidewalk. Typical Key West palm trees on either side of me. I hope they're not coconut palms…I don't need any dents. I guess she wanted a bigger car, something to carry her grandkids in. She drove me in yesterday and drove out with a new Nash Rambler. As a consolation, I guess I can say she stayed with the brand. Everyone knows that Nash is the very best!

The shop foreman did run me through the shop yesterday afternoon. I feel exhilarated. New oil, greased, vacuumed and shined.

Oh, here comes a couple of guys now! Let’s listen in, I’m going to be looking my best.

The tall man with a slight Bahamian accent is talking, “We have a lot of very nice vehicles in, Mr. Kranich. May I call you Norman?”

“Yes sir, no problem. Just call me Norman, That is correct sir. I need something that can get me around the island, back and fourth to the Navy base and occasionally up the keys to a bridge to fish.”

“Well Norman, I’m sure we can fix you up. We’ve got a lot of nice cars at Key West Motors. I’m sure you would be interested in at least one.”

Norman wasn’t too short himself, just under six feet, average build, lean and a full head of black hair. His hair was wavy and combed back as was the style of his youth in the 30’s. He also had piercing black eyes and a faint shadow of a mustache above his upper lip.

“I also like to be conservative. In fact, I want a car that is good on gas and reasonably priced,” Norman declared.

“Well Norman, here’s a nice Volkswagen, only a couple of years old. As I’m sure you know the VW’s get good gas mileage, in the 20-30’s.”

“What’s the price for it?”

“Well Mr. Kranich the sticker here says $1,200. I can let you have it for $1,150.”

“What else do you have? What is the blue and white hardtop here?”

“That Norman is a “Met”, actually a Nash Metropolitan. Let’s see, it is a ‘57’, only 10 years old. You know, that for miles per gallon, it gets in the the ‘30’s. In fact, Motor Trend magazine even took a car like this to the top of Pikes Peak, 14,000 feet above sea level.”

“One more thing, Norman, it will go from zero to sixty in less than twenty three-seconds! Now that’s a lot faster than a VW.”

“What is the price on it?”

“Norman, it is listed at $800, but I can let you have it for $750. Also, take a look, it’s got the famous Nash weather eye heater and AM radio in it, factory stock.”

“Ok, I’ll take it.”

“Don’t you want to drive it first?”

“No don’t have to. I trust your judgment.”

“Oh well then, Mr. Kranich, let’s go to the office, and write it up.”

“Wow, that happened pretty fast! It looks like I have a new owner.”

From the Author:

My second full-length book , Florida Keys’ Watercolor Kapers is composed of 336 pages. There are 12 stories running from 6 pages to as many as 72 pages. It is fully illustrated with 88 watercolors and sketches. The watercolors I made roaming around Key West after I finished my 750 mile hike from Georgia to Key West. (See book or Don Browne’s SouthWest Florida Online News records, A Walk Across Florida.) As you read these stories you will experience Key West, the Keys, and the Caribbean. These stories span the time of the early 1800’s to 1969. bkranich.wixsite.com/bobkranich

No comments:

Post a Comment