Friday, February 01, 2013

Energy Drinks Brings More To Emergency Rooms

Largest Increase In Patients 40 And Older

The number of hospital emergency department visits involving energy drinks doubled from 10,068 visits in 2007 to 20,783 visits in 2011, according to a new government report from the Drug Abuse Warning Network. 

Among energy drink-related ED visits, there were more male patients than female patients; visits doubled from 2007 to 2011 for both male and female patients. 

In each year from 2007 to 2011, there were more patients aged 18 to 39 than patients in other age groups involved in energy drink-related visits; however, the largest increase was seen among patients aged 40 or older, for whom visits increased 279% from 1,382 visits in 2007 to 5,233 visits in 2011. 

In 2011, more than half of energy drink-related ED visits involved energy drinks only (58%), and the remaining 42% involved other drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment