Monday, August 15, 2011

Clewiston's Millionaire Fisherman Picks Up $600,000

Martin's Fishing Wins Now Total $1.8 Million

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (Aug. 14, 2011) – Scott Martin of Clewiston, Fla., crossed the stage with a five- bass limit weighing 14 pounds, 5 ounces Sunday to claim the title of Forrest Wood Cup fishing champion on Lake Ouachita.

Martin, with a four-day total of 20 bass for 61-1, won by a 4-pound, 10-ounce margin over EverStart pro Randall Tharp of Gardendale, Ala., who caught five bass weighing 15-1 for a four-day total of 20 bass weighing 56-7, which was good for $100,000. 

Sunday's final weigh-in marked the finale of the 2011 Forrest Wood Cup, which featured 58 of the world's best professional bass anglers. Martin won $600,000 plus a $1,000 Power-Pole bonus.

"A four-day event of this magnitude is stressful to deal with, especially when you're close to the top most of the days," said Martin, who boosted his FLW Outdoors earnings to more than $1.8 million with the win. "I had to play a mind trick on myself and pretend like tomorrow was the final day and today was the cut day I was going to try to catch a big bag.

"I think the biggest factor when you win a tournament is confidence," Martin added. "The first day of the tournament I caught a couple of real big fish right off the bat and I told my partner, 'I can win the tournament in this spot.' Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened."

No comments:

Post a Comment