Florida Highway Patrol Enforcing Move Over Laws
Since 1999, more than 170 law enforcement officers in the United States have died and thousands injured in a crash as a result of being on the side of the roadway doing their job. During the month of January, Florida Highway Patrol troopers will pay special attention to drivers violating the state’s Move Over law.
Understanding Move Over:
• Drivers must move over when a patrol car, emergency vehicle and/or tow truck is stopped on the side of a road with lights flashing.
• If they cannot move over safely, drivers shall slow down to a speed of 20 mph below the posted speed limit.
• Approach the emergency vehicle with caution.
• Violating the Move Over law puts motorists and public safety professionals at risk.
• Violating the Move Over law can result in a fine and points on your driver license record.